always listen and adapts aesthetics ergonomics design.
- Additive manufacturing is a revolutionary disruptive sector of technology with nearly limitless potential across multiple facets of life. It is an industry that is exponentially growing and changing, with a projected annual growth rate of 23.5% for the next five years. Yet what it can offer varies greatly for the individual. Whether you are new to the industry or a veteran, it is important that you can explain the specific aspects that attract you to 3D printing. The AM industry is not restricted to simply manufacturing and can include HR Manager, Aerospace Engineer, Desktop programmer, and many more roles.
- This question is crucial in helping you understand what it is you want and do not want from a new role. There is a myriad of possible reasons for wanting a change, such as insufficient pay, lack of progression or a simple desire for a change of scenery. Whatever your reasons are, it is important to be honest with yourself and be prepared to answer this question in an interview.
- Understanding the aspects of your current and previous roles that you most value can help you to target new companies that offer similar benefits. Additionally, understanding what you did not enjoy can help you to make sure you avoid a reoccurrence of such experiences. Creating a Pros and Cons list across your former roles can help you to visualize this.
- It is recommended that you split your skills into Hard and Soft. Hard skills are job-specific and learnable, such as programming and proficiency in operating a 3D printer. Soft skills are not role-specific qualities such as communication and leadership. Both skill types are crucial and finding out your worth as a candidate can help you to identify what makes you stand out from the crowd. Try to match your skillset with the role and culture of the company.
- This is a question that may be difficult to precisely answer. However, it is important for you to personally understand your goals and desires. Is your priority to make as much money as possible, have an equitable work-life balance or do you want to have as much fun as you can at your workplace? Moving into the AM industry is a fantastic environment for you to cultivate your creativity and discover new possibilities. Understanding this will help you to target what role and company best suits you.
- The Additive Manufacturing industry is highly diversified and can offer you many career pathways. Although you most likely have a clear idea of your profession, looking at similar professions that may suit your skills can unlock an unexpected and exciting new career path. For example, you may have experience in the medical sector but have skills that may qualify you for roles in the automotive sector of 3D printing.
- It is important to understand where you have room for improvement and what is most important to learn in your career. Try seeking out jobs that can help you to learn new skills, such as one that may help you to understand the design process of a 3D printer. Even if you work in the field of marketing, understanding such a process will help you to communicate accurately with customers and focus specifically on the outstanding aspects of the product. By challenging yourself and leaving your comfort zone, you may exceed your expectations and new opportunities may present themselves.
- • Certain roles and businesses can open the door to many exciting future opportunities, whilst others may be more limiting. Many factors can impact your decision such as maturity of your career and family or financial constraints. Is it worth taking lower pay at a new role for future benefits or is it better to take the best current offer? • Start-ups and small-scale companies are highly prevalent in the AM industry and have strong potential for growth (both as a company and for an individual employee). Additionally, numerous MNCs (Multi-National Corporations) are investing in these smaller companies, which helps to provide funding for research and operations as well as added security from fluctuations.
When looking for a new career which aspects do you prioritize? Are you after a high wage, the potential for career progress, or a job that lets you travel the world? It is important to understand what aspects are crucial and which ones are negotiable. Job hunting can be a long process but it is important not to rush and accept a role you are not satisfied with.
Salary is one of the most important factors in someone’s career aspirations, but it is important to have realistic expectations for your salary. The good news, however, is that due to the high demand for talent within the industry, the opportunity to gain a comparatively high wage is very achievable.
- For the best opportunities in 3D Printing, you may need to relocate. It is important that you have a clear idea of where you are willing to move to when choosing where to apply. 49.4% of demand for AM roles is in North America, whilst 41% of demand is in Europe. In particular, the USA, UK and, Germany offer many roles in the industry, with 70% of global demand coming from these three countries. When relocating, however, there is always a plethora of factors to consider ranging from personal reasons such as family to preferred climate and language barriers.
- Understanding this aspect is crucial in maximizing job satisfaction. For example, if the role has a focus on independent work when you prefer working in a team, your satisfaction and output may not be as high as you or your employer would like. Although it may not be an easy process to determine a company’s culture, it is always recommended to do as much research as you can. Looking through a business’s website and employee feedback can give you a strong idea. While interviewing, don’t be afraid to ask a question in regards to their culture.
When choosing a new occupation, not all aspects to consider are work-related. The definition of a healthy work-life balance varies between individuals, depending on factors such as family, friends and co-curricular activities. Such requirements may be limited to career aspirations and roles. It is important to understand where your priorities are to determine the balance that best suits your life.
Working from home has also become increasingly prevalent within certain roles and can be particularly attractive for people who have children, live for from the office or just simply love the comfort of their own home.
- This is a common interview line of questioning (for example ‘Where do you see yourself in five years?’) and it is imperative to be prepared for this. The answer to this helps both you and others understand your ambitions and intended longevity at a company.
Quick Career Tips
Like many STEM-based sectors, additive manufacturing is an industry dominated by a majority-male workforce. However, as society increasingly encourages girls..Read More